After watching Youtube repaint doll videos I felt inspired to do so as well. I bought a few barbies, clothes patterns, and some doll clothes making books. Some books worth while and others too basic. After buying 3 made to move barbie dolls I realized I wanted to focus more on hair and clothes. I thought of rerooting hair but decided on wigs because you can changed the hair up without having to re-root every time. I bought doll hair on Amazon in may different colors. I have also seen people using yarn which I may try on a later wig.
I picked a barbie and started to remove her hair. It was time to start making the wig cap so I covered the doll head with saran wrap to not damage the doll head. I made a wig cap using thin knit fabric, Elmer’s glue and a rubber band to keep fabric from moving. I used a paint brush to apply the glue. I would wait for the glue to dry a little and apply another coat of glue, about 3 coats. Once the glue dried over night it was time to cut the excess fabric off the wig cap and shape it up. After that time to apply the hair.
I drew lines on the wig cap as a guild line where I wanted the bangs and part to go. Some videos showed doing the bangs first and placing the hair in sections. Others showed going all the way around. I glued in section and around when it was convenient . I also picked some of the threads out of the tracks in hope that it wouldn’t show through the hair since it wasn’t the same color. I glued the hair down using fabric tack.
Once I finished applying the last bit of hair and making a part (sorry not pictured here) I had to figure out how to make the hair lay down. She was looking like wild thing. She also need her bangs cut. I tried using hot water but the water wasn’t hot enough because my hand was holding her so I wasn’t trying to burn myself and put saran wrap over the head. Then I realized the hair would have a hard time drying that way and took it off. The hot water helped but didn’t fix the whole problem. Next time I will use hotter water and set her up so I don’t have to hold the doll, but not damage the doll either.
I decided to make a cap and tack it onto the wig. This seamed to work. For my first wig I am pleased.